There is not refreshment on hot summer days to cool you other than Lemonade. Especially when the Lemonade is homemade in your own kitchen bar. Aromatic, slightly sour and not too sweet. A glass of chilled lemonade takes away all the heat distress. And it supplies you with a good shot of vitamin C. A glass of chilled homemade lemonade can be a good substitude to the classical iced coffee, we drink her ein Greece.
There are thousands of homemade lemonade recipes out there, but just recently I came up an extra twist. By accident. Or better say, by my own personal laziness.
I put the leftover lemonade together with the lemon slices in the fridge. And let it rest for 24 hours. The result was a super refreshing drink with a strong but not penetrating flavor and taste. And a kind of thicker texture. All this without that the lemon cooler turned more sour.
To make homemade lemonade I use the old classic method and classic tools: a simple squeezer, a tablespoon.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice and sugar. In ratio 1:1: that is for each medium size lemon I squeeze, I add one tablespoon of sugar.
As Greeks tend to like it more sweet, when the sugar is fully dissolved, I add one more tablespoon.
I stir quickly with a spoon until the sugar is dissolved. Sugar dissolves much easier and quicker when stirred in the pure lemon juice than in a jug full of lemon juice and water.
Tricks and Twists
There are several tricks to make homemade Lemonade to taste even better.
As I mentioned above, the first trick is
- to stir sugar in the lemon juice and then add water.
A second trick is
- to not add the ice cubes in the jug. Add 3 ice cubes in the glass and pour over the lemonade.
The best trick of all times, however, is to prepare the lemonade a day earlier
- add a lemon cut in slices and leave it over night to soak in the lemonade. Depending on the total amount of lemonade you prepare, you made add more lemons in slices.
A final trick is to serve with some sprigs of fresh lemon verbena (or Luisa). The lemon-scented herb I grow in a pot on my balcony almost all through the year. But I am blessed to live in a country with lots of sun and a rather warm climate.
- what I did not dare to do though is to leave the fresh herb leafs in the lemonade overnight. After a couple of hours, they turned much to soft and I was afraid, they could totally dissolve and might spoil the lemonade if left to soak for 24 hours. I might have been wrong. I have to try in the future.
While I’m squeezing and stirring in the kitchen, there is no sign of cat around. My usual kitchen companions keep a respected distance. They display the classic Cattitude: a very sound indifference.
They sleep in the living room.Watch Full Movie Online Streaming Online and Download
What should a cat commence with lemons and ice cubes? Fairly nothing…
Homemade Lemonade with a Twist
- 4 +1 lemons
- 4 +1 tablespoon sugar
- 750 ml cold water
- 12 ice cubes
- 2 sprigs of fresh lemon verbena (Luisa)
- *** 24 hours rest time ***
- Squeeze the juice of four lemons.
- Strain it in a glass jug.
- Add four tablespoon of sugar and stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the additional tablespoon sugar and stir well.
- Fill the jug with cold water from the fridge.
- Wash the last lemon with hot water.
- Cut it into thin slices.
- Add the slices into the lemonade jug.
- Cover the jug with a small plate or kitchen paper and put it in the fridge.
- Let it rest overnight or 12-24 hours.
- Short before you serve, add the lemon verbana sprigs.
- Add 3 ice cubes into each glass and pour over the chilled lemonade.
- You can also prepare the lemonade in the morning and serve it in the afternoon.
Tagged: cool summer drinks, fresh lemons, homemade Lemonade, lemon, lemon verbena use, Lemonada, Lemonade, lemonade from scratch, Luisa, summer beverages, vegan, vegan drink, vegetarian, with a little extra, Λεμονάδα